Sunday, September 18, 2011

18 de Setembro

Sorry, for the parts that are repeated in some of the letters I sent out... unfortunately the letters might never get there anyways.  The Salvador post office will be on strike for an indefinite amount of time...






      É difícil descrever Salvador, mas vou tentar.  Salvador é como olhando pelos fundos de uma garrafa suja de vidrio azul; o mundo fica distorcido, linda, e brilhante, mas sempre existe uma escuridade que obscura… o sol sempre é brilhante mas é um tipo de sol escuro.  É por isso que estou tão atraído desta cidade, ha algo na beleza mutada que acho irresistível.  O sol é a praia, o mar, a beber cerveja nas mesas plásticas, e o escuro é a criança de 8 anos que está se vendendo a cerveja para que ele pode comprar drogas.  O escuro e ser asaltado com uma garrafa de vidrio quebrado, as 2 da tarde, e o escuro é os bichos de pê.  Estou tão atraído à esta cidade mas é um lugar abusivo para me morar.  Sou bastante sensitiva.  Ainda, estou encantada.

     Por que estou aqui?  O que estou fazendo aqui?  Não tenho muito para oferecer às pessoas quem moram aqui.  De onde vem a violência?
     Violência é ensinado, gerado, imitado?  Nunca entendi de onde vem, até agora.  Vem da pobreza, que é as horas de desempregado, a falta de educação.  É as horas vazios de televisão, é as moscas comendo a fruta podre.  Ninguém para ensinar como se auto-educar, como questionar se seja algo fora deste mundo das horas sem marca.  A violência é a energia sem fim, o desejo viver.  Lembro sentindo na sofa com a menina gravida, esperando para algo acontecer.  Todo mundo sentado em frente do TV, olhando inexpressivamente pela janela do ónibus ao homem deitado na rua coberto com bolsa de plástica olhando inexpressivamente a agulha no mão que é também tão longe como as crianças na televisão sentado com latas queimadas e isqueiros vazios.  A barriga cheio de pão, bolo e farofa, sonolento com aborrecimento, crianças desesperados para açúcar como formigas. 

     O desejo a lançar esta energia é a motivação pelos grupos culturais como Artes Conscientes, Baguncaço e Siloé.  O que pensam de mim?  Sei que querem saber o que vou fazer, lá, para eles.  O que tenho para lhes oferecer?  Apenas dinheiro, poucos recursos e a minha amizade.  Estou com tanto sorte, para estar aqui.  Privilegio não deve vir com culpa ou aborrecimento. 








It is really hard to describe or summarize what Salvador is like, but I am going to try.  Salvador is like looking through the bottom of a dirty blue glass bottle; the world is distorted and beautiful and shiny, but there is always a darkness that obscures… the sun is always shining brightly but it is a dark kind of sunlight.  I am very attracted to this city for that reason, there is something about mutated beauty that I find irresistible.  The sunlight is the beach, the ocean, drinking light beer at plastic tables and the darkness is the cracked out 8 year old selling it to you.  The darkness is being assaulted with a broken glass bottle at 2 in the afternoon, and it is the bugs that enter through the bottom of your feet if one walks barefoot and tunnel through your skin up your legs toward your heart.  Coming to Salvador for two weeks is a vacation, but living here is making me go crazy.  I am so attracted to this city but it is an abusive place for someone like me to live.  I am too sensitive.  But I can't help but be in love.

     Why am I here?  What am I doing here?  What am I learning? I don't have much to offer to those who live here.  Where does violence come from?
     Violence is taught, bred, imitated?  Hours of unemployment, lack of education, endless, empty time.  Empty endless hours of TV and flies and fruit.  To teach how to self-educate, to question if there is something outside of this world of unmarked hours.  Endless energy, desire to live, I remember sitting on the sofa with the pregnant girl, waiting for something to happen.  The whole world is sitting in front of the TV, staring blankly through the window of the bus a the man on the street covered with a plastic bag who is staring blankly at the needle in his uplifted hand that is also as far away as the children on the TV lined up against a plywood wall with burned up coke cans and empty lighters.  Belly full of bread and cake and farofa, drowsy with boredom, children desperate for sugar like ants.

     The desire to release this energy motivates "grupos culturais" like Artes Conscientes, Baguncaço, Siloé.  What do they think of me when I go there to volunteer?  I know that they want to know what I am going to do for them.  What do I have to offer?  Money.  Resources, friendship.  I am so lucky, to be here.  Privilege shouldn't come with guilt or boredom.

     I have discovered that poverty is also stagnancy.  I always assumed that those struggling from day to day to survive would be running around frantically like ants, and many do.  But there is a emptinesss of mind, a vacancy of expression, lack of empathy or compassion, where violence begins.

       In the stillness of my time here I have been able to observe the restlessness of an unoccupied mind.  Fortunately I have already learned how to self-educate, observe, feed my mind.  Maybe that is all I have to offer here.


Beija-mim

    

    

2 comments: